My photo
Being a modeller for quite a few years now, I decided to explore the endless possibilities that the world (through internet) offers, and come up with a series of ways of building, modelling and painting fast (but not hastily), to create the worlds I was seeing in history books since I was little. . .If you care to join me. . . This is the place to be! And, I promise you to find the way (or ways)!!

Thursday 3 January 2013

Buildings' Sandbags

After a much needed break from my everyday errants, and a continuous hangover, I am back on the tracks again.
I reckon that this time of the year is always the best to see and talk to people you couldn't see, simply because life was getting in the way.

As a first post for 2013, I'd like to share with you some new terrain pieces I've made. I was inspired by videos from Men of War videogame, which you can all find them in Youtube. In these I noticed some piles of sandbags (see tutorial here), being put in front of the houses and buildings as a cover during the fighting.

I took some Milliput epoxy putty and I made 8-9 of them. Below, you will see some photos providing some full/partial cover next to my handmade buildings (yes, I make them on my own). :-)

















I hope you like them.
Have a great Thursday night everyone!
T.

32 comments:

  1. What a great first post for the year T. A tutorial would be great on these mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Thanos. The buildings are awesome too! Well done Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of many hours working on them Rodger. Thank you for your kind words. :)

      Delete
  3. You can never have enuff sandbags! Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great Thanos.
    Couldn't help but see the buildings behind. I am guessing these are scratch built too? What materials did you use for the brick/stone surfaces and windows/doors?
    Cheers
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott. Thank you for your kind words.
      I used some Wills scenics windows and doors and some plasticard from Slater's.
      See my relevant post here:

      http://miniaturesterrainpage.blogspot.gr/2010/12/stonework-revisited_1116.html

      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  5. Those buildings are impeccable! It would be nice to see a tutorial on those sandbags too.

    Hope you had a good new year T!
    FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do my friend. I was asked to make some for a fellow modeller. :) Thank you

      Delete
  6. Thanos, you are certainly talented when it comes to model making. They are the best sandbags I have seen. Looks like I will be ordering some Milliput today.

    Keep them coming please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Clive. It's the Milliput that it's a great material to work with nothing more than that. :)

      Delete
  7. Sorry, came up as unknown in previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work my dear Thanos. It is always best to give your time to those people present in your real life. Some moments come but only once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great sandbags T, once again they remind me of a few scenes in Band of Brothers. I think it was after they had taken Carentan these sandgags were outside the building doors as you have placed them on your pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something like that Greg. You're my man!!! You always know where I get my ideas from. :) You do your homework.

      Delete
  10. Very nice!
    Once of my projects for the coming year is to try to reproduce some of all your wonderful scratchbuilding projects for my own table. Yours is easily the most inspirational blog I follow. Keep the good stuff coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thomas, that's so nice of you.
      From what I've seen all these years is mostly people trying to get some praise of their work. It always occurred to me, that the tutorials were really scarce on the web, in comparison to photos of ready models. That's what I am trying to change in this blog. :)

      Delete
  11. They look great to. I'd like a tutorial as well please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, I will do one tutorial soon. :)

      Delete
  12. excelent work! what a great idea. nice very nice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Flawless as always Thanos! The whole street is looking fantastic! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work! Thanks for sharing, master of the scenery!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to your dioramas Peter, I am a mediocre, to say the least modeller. Your work is impeccable. :)

      Delete
  15. Great work, they are much better than ours! Tuto soon? Very nice buildings too...
    Phil

    ReplyDelete